The University imposes a strict “No Vehicle Pass Sticker No Entry Policy” to every means of transportation that will enter the campus. The policy aims to manage the number of vehicles inside the campus and maintain pollution free environment for its employees, students, and visitors, thus limiting the number of vehicles used within the university according to available parking spaces and lessens the emission of greenhouse gasses in the campus. This policy is enforced at all times, with no exceptions. Registering vehicles would require a duly signed “Application for Issuance of Vehicle Entry Sticker Form”, a photocopy of driver’s license, photocopy of vehicle Certificate of Registration & and a fifty pesos’ registration fee, in which the accumulated fees is utilized for the maintenance of parking areas. Moreover, the university still encourages employees, students, and visitors to use alternative transportation like walking, biking, and use of public transit to minimize smoke emissions from privately owned vehicles.
The university being a council member of the Calbayog City Solid Waste Management Council assists the Local Government Unit in the disposal of solid wastes by procuring and utilizing its own Garbage Truck in the handling and transporting of wastes of the campus to City Landfill, thereby maximizing the accomplishments of the CCSWMC in the cleanliness and pollution programs of the city. Moreover, the university procured two (2) units of chariot-type motorcycles and using it in the hauling and transportation of various supplies to different offices and of recyclable materials to the material recovery facility, thus helping the day-to-day activity program of the university concerning campus organization, cleanliness, and maintenance.
Furthermore, it is incorporated in the strategic plan of the university to procure solar powered mini-bus for the transportation of students, faculty, and staff from the university’s dormitory and staff housing to the main campus which is located about 500km away. This project will also promote the maximization of natural resources thereby strengthening the environmental sustainability programs of the university.
References: Quality Procedure USO-QP-01, Quality Forms ADM-QF-02 (Trip Slip), AMD-QF-03 (Trip Ticket) and AMD-QF-04 (Vehicle Utilization Form)
In addition, the University has taken several actions to ensure environmental sustainability in transportation arrangements, emphasizing the reduction of carbon emissions, waste management, and efficient use of resources:
- Designated Parking Area for Electric Vehicles (EVs): The university has allocated specific parking spaces for electric vehicles, encouraging the adoption of environmentally friendly transportation options.
- Promotion of Carpooling and Ride-Sharing: The university actively promotes carpooling and ride-sharing programs to reduce the number of vehicles entering the campus. This initiative not only reduces traffic congestion but also minimizes individual carbon footprints.
- Bike Infrastructure: To encourage biking as a mode of transportation, the university included in the plan bike lanes, bike racks, and bike-sharing programs on campus.
- Zero-Emission Shuttle Service: The university plans to operate a shuttle service that runs on electric or other zero-emission technologies. This service provides transportation for students and staff between different parts of the campus, reducing the need for individual vehicles.
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Efforts: The university promotes waste reduction and recycling among its transportation services. For example, the chariot-type motorcycles used for hauling and transportation also carry recyclable materials to the material recovery facility, ensuring proper waste management.
- Green Procurement: The university prioritizes purchasing vehicles and equipment that are energy-efficient and eco-friendly. This commitment extends to the future acquisition of solar-powered mini-buses, which will further reduce carbon emissions and reliance on fossil fuels.
- Environmental Education and Awareness: The university conducts regular awareness campaigns, workshops, and seminars to educate the campus community about the importance of sustainable transportation and its impact on the environment. This fosters a culture of environmental consciousness among students, staff, and visitors.
- Monitoring and Continuous Improvement: The university establishes a transportation management system that tracks the carbon footprint and other environmental impacts of its transportation services. This data is used to identify areas for improvement and implement more sustainable practices continually.
By implementing these actions and policies, the university demonstrates a strong commitment to environmental sustainability and contributes to creating a cleaner, greener, and more sustainable campus environment.